Story Lab: Story & Friends

I have chosen to watch one of the Ted Talks: Story and Friends called The danger of a single story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Imaginary friends and real-world consequences by OU's own Jennifer Barnes.

The danger of a single story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was quite fascinating. Chimamanda has always wanted to write imaginary stories when she was little. She believed that books should have foreign in them. She wrote about things that recognize the important for people to realize. She brought up my attention that her roommate from college that Nigeria could speak English as well. She wrote stories about people as cars so that they will never starve. She taught me that her stories can help form herself as a better person. Overall, I realize that it is always important to write about the things you feel that are important for readers to know when it comes to creating your own story.

The Imaginary friends and real-world consequences by OU's own Jennifer Barnes was very interesting. Jennifer states why do most people prefer to read and watch fictional stories? Why do most people even care about it? When someone reads about a celebrity on twitter, for example, they feel as if they actually know that person. Jennifer has also made me realize that fictional stories can help people avoid their self-esteem and social rejection. Jennifer has also provided a result that woman have a higher chance of grief when a character dies than men. Overall, stories are written to express our emotions.

Bedtime Stories for Kids, Link Text.


Comments

  1. Hi Hoai,

    I am glad that I read through this post on your blog. This brought my attention to these wodneful videos. In your descriptions of the videos, I could not agree more. I found the one by Jennifer Barnes to be the most compelling. It is so true that people feel a connection with celebrities they do not even know.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hoai-Quoc!

    I decided to read and comment on this blog for two reasons. First, I already commented on your introduction. Second, because I watched the same videos for my story lab as well. I found Chimamanda's talk to be very profound. After I watched her video I always try to remember that there is always more than one side to every story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Introduction of My Life

Week 3 Story: It's Life